Sunday, July 31, 2011

Pensacola,FL to Fairhope,AL

June 26, 2011

I made the hour's hop from Pensacola,FL to Fairhope, Alabama on Monday morning, stopping in little Robertsdale, AL for breakfast at Mac'n Jerry's restaurant.

I am new at this travelin' business, so neglected to carry inside my motorcycle's tank bag which, in addition to maps and camera, contains pens, notepad (I purchased one the next day), etc. I realized my mistake

I had sat down for only a few moments before I felt a strong urge to record what I was seeing and feeling, but I had no writing tools. (The very next day I purchased pens and a notepad which I now carry in my motorcycle tank bag, along with camera, binoculars, etc., and now always remove and tke with me when I stop.) I went up to the cashier, a pleasant lady c.55 (she turned out to be Jerry), and asked if she had scrap paper and pen I could use. She gave me a pad of blank “kitchen checks” and pen. I sat back down and started jotting notes on the back of the checks.

Before entering, I had noted a sign on the door: “No credit or debit cards. Local checks only.” Up at the cashier's desk another read: “Please make BAD checks out to the Baldwin County Sheriff's Dept. Make GOOD checks out to Mac'n Jerry's Diner. Thank you. “ I guess restauranteurs had a little problem collecting in Robertsdale. On the brighter side, there was also a sign prominently displayed stating: “Will trade coffee for gossip”.

The interior was clean and bright, with pine walls on which were mounted several stuffed deer heads cum antlers. The deer sported large bibs fashioned from football jerseys: “Crimson Tide”, “Crimson Tide National Champs”, “Alabama”, and one wore “Auburn”. (I guess there was no doubt where the owner's heart lay.) Two large “Bud Light Playbook” posters displayed the past season's football schedules for the Crimson Tide and Auburn. Game scores had been added by hand with magic marker.

I asked the cashier if she was Jerry and if perhaps husband Mac worked the kitchen. She told me that she surely was Jerry, but that Mac was her mother, who had recently passed. I expressed my condolences and asked if the pretty and personable waitress (c.30) might be her daughter; she confirmed my guess with a warm smile.

Good venue, food, and people: Gee, this trip should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment